06 Aug Treatment of special points
Special points of a façade correspond to the most sensitive areas where stresses arising from the construction work are accumulated, and which can cause the cladding to crack.
In those areas where structural joints have been designed, the cladding must be interrupted in order not to transmit stresses thereto and prevent the appearance of fissures, cracks and even detachments.
Likewise, working joints, confluence of substrates of different natures (frameworks, brick, ceramic, etc.), points of convergence and edges will require special attention and specific treatment.
The following considerations must be considered:
- In structural joints, the cladding must always obligatorily be interrupted so as not to transmit the stresses generated therein. Said joints will be adequately treated or a flexible joint such as GECOL Elastic-MS applied thereto.
- Working joints are used to facilitate application and avoid connections. The treatment of working joints, in addition to facilitating a more even finish, is sufficient, in general, to prevent the appearance of uncontrolled fissures because of the retraction of the mortar.
- In the case of joints between substrates of different nature, the most usual procedure is to reinforce the area of the join with polyester or fiberglass mesh with anti-alkali treatment.
This mesh must be installed centred on the thickness of the cladding, not too near the substrate or too near the surface because, in such case, it could be exposed during execution of the scraped finish.
- Furthermore, the edges delimit the join of the two planes or surfaces.
These must be reinforced either with mesh or corner guards, as these areas are more susceptible to being struck and damaged.
- We also recommend installing mesh on the substrate, in areas such as points of convergence between different materials, frameworks, pillars, blind boxes, door and window angles, etc.
The mesh must cover each side of the union at least 20 cm and, on the angles, it must be disposed diagonally in areas of 40 x 20 cm.
Warnings: The data provided by this Constructive Solution were prepared based on standard onsite installation processes. However, we recommend that you consult our Technical Department in the event of any specific circumstance firstname.lastname@example.org