27 Jul Installation os high-traffic flooring
High-traffic flooring (shopping malls, airports, industrial flooring, workshops, etc.) are places subjected to specific physical and chemical external factors:
- Static loads (shelves).
- Dynamic loads (cars, forklifts, etc.).
- Continuous collisions, wear and abrasion.
- Maintenance and cleaning with aggressive substances.
Due to these specific external factors, we must meet certain needs by adapting measures such as:
- Use of ceramic tiles or natural stone with the adequate resistance.
- Use of deformable adhesives that will absorb all the possible movements to which these floors are subjected.
- Resistant adhesives, capable of bearing all static and dynamic loads.
- Use of specific jointing mortars with a high resistance to abrasion, deformable and resistant, capable of adapting to the requirements.
We must previously examine the substrate, ensuring that it is resistant, clean, dry (less than 3% of residual humidity) and has already retracted.
In the case of the following substrates:
- Irregular: Apply GECOL Nivelante 10-R PLUS as a leveling mortar.
- Inconsistent: It is advisable to apply a base coat of GECOL Primer-TP diluted with water in the ratio 1:3, to consolidate said substrate.
- Non-absorbent (polished concrete or terrazzo in interiors): Clean using GECOL Desincrustante diluted with water in the ratio 1:3 and subsequently rinse.
In all cases, the use of the adhesive in thin-bed flooring and executing the double-adhesive technique is advisable (application of the product using a toothed trowel, both on the substrate and on the back of the tile), for formats larger than 2,000 cm2.
A second consideration to be taken into account is the design of the joints, making sure to:
- Leave at least 3 mm joint spacing between tiles.
- Execute perimeter movement joints in corners and changes in plane, height or material.
- Execute expansion joints between door and structural cavities of the building.
All expansion joints should be filled with elastic mastics such as GECOL Elastic-MS.
- Execute intermediate movement or partition joints that constitute maximum surface areas of 50 m2 in interiors, 25 m2 in exteriors and 16 m2 with dark colors on exterior surfaces.
Jointing mortar must be applied in accordance with the times marked in the Technical Data Sheet of the adhesive.
Commissioning will take place 48 hours after executing the joint.
Warnings: The data provided by this Constructive Solution were prepared based on standard onsite installation processes. However, we recommend that you consult our Technical Department in the event of any specific circumstance firstname.lastname@example.org