25 Jul Ambient conditions for tile laying
In the application of cementitious adhesives, the ambient conditions (temperature and humidity) are determining factors, both in the properties of the product in paste format and in the characteristics of the hardened adhesive mortar.
These parameters are so decisive that certain normalized ambient temperature and humidity conditions have been established to characterize these adhesives within the standard.
The setting and hardening of the cement requires the presence of water, which will become constituting water in the crystallization process of the cement fibers.
The slower this growth, the greater the length of these fibers and, therefore, the greater the resistance.
Furthermore, once the adhesive has been extended, a dry and hot environment will shorten the open time of the fresh adhesive mortar.
Both high and low temperatures negatively influence the hydration and, thus, the hardening process of the adhesive.
It is also envisaged that these ambient factors can affect the commissioning time of the work executed.
In light of the aforementioned factors, certain margins have been established in terms of ambient conditions for all of these cementitious adhesives.
- Application temperature: +5ºC C to +35ºC (always measured on the substrate).
The measurement must be made on the substrate, as it may vary considerably if in shade or in sunlight.
- In the presence of wind, the period of time that elapses from the time the product is applied to the time the superficial film that prevents correct moisturization is formed must be controlled.
- They shall not be applied if rain or frost is expected or when the products is still fresh, since it would affect the setting and hardening thereof.
The fast-setting cementitious adhesives GECOL Flexible rápido and GECOL Flexible fluido are the most adequate products when drops in temperature are expected near the time of application, since interstitial water is eliminated thanks to their fast-setting properties without altering their resistance and adherence.
A second issue to consider, and therefore no less important, is the design of the boards, and it is mandatory to respect:
- Joints between minimum tiles of 2 mm.
- Perimeter joints in corners and changes of plane, height or material.
- Expansion joints, between door and structural holes that the building presents.
All expansion joints must be filled with elastic mastics like GECOL Elastic-MS.
The application of the joint mortar should be carried out following the indications marked in the Technical Data Sheet of the product.
The commissioning will take place at least 48 hours after the placement of the meeting.
Warnings: The data provided by this Constructive Solution were prepared based on standard onsite installation processes. However, we recommend that you consult our Technical Department in the event of any specific circumstance firstname.lastname@example.org