01 Aug Aesthetic concrete repairs
The passage of time and adverse weather conditions degrade concrete, making it lose its alkalinity due to carbonation thereof with atmospheric air (CO2), leaving its armor unprotected, which becomes oxidized and increases in volume, whereupon it breaks and becomes detached.
Likewise, concrete surfaces suffer significant mechanical aggressions produced by impacts and blows.
To avoid future pathologies, wear and for aesthetic reasons, proper maintenance and repair of the concrete is required.
The structural repair of concrete requires a compatible mortar that ensures its durability. Therefore, it must have:
- High mechanical resistance
- Great adherence to the concrete substrate
- Resistance to carbonation and atmospheric attacks
The first consideration to be taken into account is the state of the substrate:
- The old concrete substrate must be cleaned and chipped away, forming straight edges, to remove soft and non-adherent parts.
- Next, a repair mortar from the GECOL Reparatec range will be applied according to the application thickness:
- Less than 5 cm (application in layers): GECOL Reparatec R2 or GECOL Reparatec R4 rápido.
- Less than 10 cm (application in layers): GECOL Reparatec R4 or GECOL R4 fluido.
- When a bonding bridge is necessary, apply GECOL Reparatec in a creamy consistency, adding to the mixing water corresponding to one liter of GECOL Latex.
- Next, the concrete aesthetic repair mortar GECOL Reparatec is applied over the fresh grout.
- Lastly, let set and apply a floated finish.
If the framework is oxidized, clean and completely descale the oxidized part until the non-oxidized metal is exposed.
The oxide is removed by mechanical methods and then a GECOL Pasivador anti-rust primer is applied.
For a more waterproof finish, it is recommended to apply a coat of GECOL Imper, to ensure the total impermeability of the concrete.
Warnings: The data provided by this Constructive Solution were prepared based on standard onsite installation processes. However, we recommend that you consult our Technical Department in the event of any specific circumstance email@example.com